The 50th International Eucharistic Congress (IEC2012) will host a special Eucharistic Procession around the RDS complex on Wednesday 13 June at 7.30pm. The general public and pilgrims are warmly welcomed to participate.
Fr Kevin Doran, Secretary General of IEC2012, said: “The purpose of the procession is to allow the faithful to walk with the Blessed Sacrament as an expression of our desire to walk with Christ as his witnesses on the journey of life. The procession is a way of extending the worship of Christ in the Eucharist outside of the Mass, in keeping with the desire of Pope Benedict XVI.”
The Eucharistic Procession will commence in the RDS Main Arena at 7.30pm. Members of the public and parish groups from across the country who wish to attend the procession should (unless registered for the Congress on Wednesday 13 June) gather in the RDS Simmonscourt extension area from 5.30pm, where they can join and follow the procession after it has left the Main RDS Arena.
From Simmonscourt, the procession will move out the gate and turn onto Simmonscourt road, Anglesea Road, Merrion Road, and complete the procession route in the grounds of the RDS Simmonscourt, a journey of approximately 2.5 kilometres.
The PA system will relay prayers and music from the Main Arena around the procession route. Pilgrims remaining in the Main Arena may view the procession on the large screens beside the main Altar. Individuals and parish groups walking the procession are encouraged to bring along colourful banners.
People who do not wish to walk but want to see the procession are welcome to gather along the road as the procession passes on Merrion Road, Anglesea Road and part of the Simmonscourt Rd.
For further information and a map of the route, please see: www.iec2012.ie/procession
- Aisling Harmey, Media Relations Manager, 50th International Eucharistic Congress 2012,
- Tel: 00353 (01) 234 9903 Mob: 00353 (0) 87 137 2447 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aoife Connors, Media Officer, 50th International Eucharistic Congress 2012
Tel: 00353 (01) 234 9940 Mob: 00353 (0) 87 628 0580 Email: email@example.com
Notes for Editors:
- The 50th International Eucharistic Congress 2012 will take place in Dublin from 10 – 17 June 2012 with up to 25,000 pilgrims expected to attend each day at the RDS, including thousands of international pilgrims representing more than 120 different countries.
- IEC2012 will transform the RDS into a Eucharistic Village for an eight day festival of faith and culture. The Eucharist will be celebrated in the Liturgy and adored in the Prayer Space.
- The Congress is an international gathering of people, held every four years somewhere in the world, which aims to promote an awareness of the central place of the Eucharist in the life and mission of the Catholic Church; to help improve our understanding and celebration of the liturgy and to draw attention to the social dimension of the Eucharist. These aims are achieved through a programme of pastoral preparation in the years leading up to the Congress and a programme of liturgical and cultural events, lectures and workshops over the course of one week. Previous Congresses took place in Quebec (2008) and Guadalajara (2004)
- The theme of the Congress is ‘The Eucharist: Communion with Christ and with one Another’ (Communion – like Solidarity – means a relationship of mutual love and self-giving).
- On 17 June, more than 80,000 people are expected to gather and celebrate Statio Orbis, the Final Mass, of the 50th International Eucharistic Congress 2012 at Croke Park Stadium.
- There are a total of 223 speakers as part of the IEC2012 programme of events, which includes 38 speakers in the main arena delivering Catechesis (teaching), personal testimonies, homilies and addresses.
- A total of 144 presenters will deliver workshops during Congress week
- There are 41 speakers delivering addresses at the Chiara Luce Youth Space for young people between 17 and 25 years old.
- A total of 160 workshops including talks, addresses, group reflections, meetings, concerts and plays
- The full programme is available at: http://www.iec2012.ie/programme
- For more information: www.iec2012.ie
- Registration for the Congress is now live on http://www.iec2012.ie/registration